Monday, October 20, 2008

Why?


Do you ever wonder why we make the decisions that we make? And do these decisions make us happy?
I used to love my job, but now the aspects are too overwhelming. I'm not teaching, and really not doing too much else. Most people would be happy about getting paid to not do much, but I want to make a difference. It seems that the college's admin. does not like Basic Skills and trying to not let us grow and help students. Our budget is short and we need to cut classes in order to make ends meet. This isn't suppose to be our mission...other colleges put in monies to help basic skills, but my college doesn't. Why? Our unemployment is rising from 8.1 % to more in Dec. 600 people are going to be laid off by May of next year in our county. Basic Skills is their hope, but how are we going to serve these students if we have no money? Where are we going to put these students? Why doesn't the college seem to care?
My supervisor is getting tired...it's difficult to keep pushing for our students and no one is listening.
The above pic is my ESL class working on their thoughts of the US and how much they enjoy living in the US. They only say good things about the U.S. and how much they love the free education for themselves and their children. Interesting, isn't it?

No comments: